The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program offers grants to undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens with limited financial means, who wish to pursue academic studies or credit-bearing, career-oriented internships abroad. Such international exchange is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world. Since the program’s inception in 2001, the Gilman Program has helped over 17,000 students from more than 1,100 institutions study or intern abroad in over 140 countries. The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the U.S. Department of State, and is administered by the Institute of International Education in Houston, TX.
NOTE: WCC student, Amanda Anderson, won a Benjamin Gilman International Scholarship in 2014, which allowed her to study Italian language and culture, in Italy, during the Summer of 2014.
Summer 2015 & Fall/AY 2015-2016 online applications are due March 3, 2015 by 11:59 p.m. (central)
How To Apply
Students applying for any academic term must meet the eligibility requirements below:
- Enrolled as an undergraduate student at an accredited two- or four-year U.S. institution
- Receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term abroad
- Be a United States citizen
- Participating in a study abroad program or internship that is no less than four weeks (28 days) – or two weeks (14 days) for current community college students – in one country, and no more than one academic year
- Applying to or accepted into a study abroad program or internship eligible for academic credit by the student’s home institution
- Studying or interning in any country not currently under a U.S. State Department Travel Warning or Cuba. Students applying to programs in Mexico may only apply for scholarships to support study in Mexican states where no advisory is in effect according to the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning.
For more information about the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program, please see contact information below:
Last Name A-D
Last Name E-K
Last Name L-Q
Last Name R-Z